(Title from “Hope In Front Of Me” by Danny Gokey, my favorite Christian song.)
I work best at night. (It’s 1:35 A.M. right now and I’m really glad I work second shift.)
I’m also really good at feeling accomplished when I’ve actually done nothing.
I should be worried about adult things like building a savings account, down payments for a new apartment, student loans… but I want to travel, and that’s what I started saving money for. (I’ll do the necessary things, of course, because I hate being in trouble, but I don’t give a damn if I’m rich when I’m 60. I’ll be too old and sick to enjoy myself then, if I don’t even die young like my mom did.)
Realistically, I’ll probably have to sink my tiny savings into whatever apartment I move into next because I’m an unlucky person and that’s what unlucky people have to do.
*whines like a child* But I like this room! I want to stay heeeere.
But if I can keep this motivation going, I’ll make more money, and then, after a temporary detour, I can buy a passport and/or visit my internet friends and/or go to conventions and/or volunteer for the summer at a cat ranch if I want to.
Here’s what I’ve been up to outside of my “day job.”
- Surveys & Product Reviews
- Off and on I’ll answer surveys on a number of different sites to pull in extra cash and gift cards. It’s not a large amount, but spare change adds up! One summer I saved up Amazon cards from Swagbucks and bought a set of super comfortable silk sheets. That’s also how I get most of my books.
- The sites I’m on currently: Swagbucks, InstaGC, ProductReportCard, Mintvine
- Virtual Lotto / Games
- This pays even less than the survey sites but when I’m at work for 7, 8, 11 hours at a time, I get bored. We don’t get a ton of customers and I have a smartphone with an unlimited data plan. I play games that give me “points” or “tokens” that can be traded in for… yep, gift cards.
- The apps I use: Perk, Lucktastic
- Freelance Transcription
- I like typing, but I don’t always like the thinking required for a blog post. I’m quick and have a good accuracy rating, so if I’m at home when good files are uploaded, I can get a few dollars here & there.
- I have a 95% accuracy rate on Scribie, which is the easiest transcription site for newbies to use. Check it out here:
- Digital Art
- This is the exciting one! I finally opened a RedBubble account and I’m starting to build a page of custom-made stickers and knick-knacks. Right now I’ve only gotten a few simple photography/quote things uploaded, but once I’ve reaquainted myself with Paint.net and GIMP, I really hope this will go somewhere. It’s so much fun!
- http://www.redbubble.com/people/ametrines –> Yeah, click that.
I hope tomorrow is another slow day at work. Then I can plan and doodle and dream.